England opener Alex Hales on Tuesday rubbished the news of him showing symptoms of the novel coronavirus which led to the cancellation of the Pakistan Super League. But revealed minutes later that he has developed.a fever and is due to get tested for Covid-19.
Dubai-based Gulf News claimed a foreign played showed symptoms of Covid-19 after returning to England which is why the PSL had to be cancelled on Tuesday. They did not name the player but Hales’s name emerged after former Pakistan Test captain Ramiz Raja claimed it could have been the English batsman who showed symptoms of the dangerous virus.
Hales put out a tweet saying, Stop spreading fake news, dangerous behaviour.
Hales however, confirmed just minutes after his first tweet on Tuesday that he is down with a fever since Sunday and is following the United Kingdom government’s advice of self-isolation.
“I returned to the UK in the early hours of Saturday morning feeling perfectly fit and healthy and with absolutely no symptoms of the virus.
“However, I awoke early on Sunday morning having developed a fever and followed the government’s advice of self-isolation, a process I am obviously still following having developed a dry and persistent cough.
“At this stage, it has not been possible to be tested although I am hopeful that might be the case later today so that I can get absolute confirmation of my current health status,” Hales clarified in a separate tweet.
An update on my situation, stay safe everyone pic.twitter.com/8mDPOBGmI8
— Alex Hales (@AlexHales1) March 17, 2020
Raja claimed that Hales might be the player being suspected. As a precautionary measure, all PSL players and broadcasters are now being tested for the virus.
“What I know is that he is yet to have tests but we don’t know whether the symptoms he has is of Corona or not. But we all now need to be very cautious and obviously adopt a common sense approach to deal with this problem,” Raja said.
Most of the 34 foreign players, who took part in the PSL, began heading home last week after the PCB said it would not stop anyone from withdrawing from the league due to the Coronavirus fears.
The PSL had entered the knockout stages and semifinal matches were due to be played on Tuesday and final on Wednesday in Lahore.
The PCB had also shortened the league by four days considering the worsening coronavirus situation but was forced to call it off on Tuesday.
“…this new development came after a player who left Pakistan told us that (he has) symptoms and this (decision to suspend PSL) isn’t in light of being panicked…we made our decision after thorough deliberation,” PCB CEO Wasim Khan said.